Once again I state that the following is merely a translation of what was written ages ago. My views may have developed since then, my knowledge deepened...
original date of publishing: 21.10.2010 11:34
Now let me digress a little from the history and finally get to some music! Today I’ve got for you the first half of the album Beautiful World (2006) :) As I have already hinted in some of the previous posts, I intent to list all the songs from the album and then... I won’t say much about some of them, but I may say a lot about others and even play them for you :) Of course, I do recommend to look up all of the others on youtube, if you’re interested ...
1. Reach Out – And right in the first one up I want to point you to the lyrics. It’s one them songs that have some kind of a real meaning. By which I’m not saying that any usual kind of love songs etc, are meaningless, but this one (loosely quoting Jason) is one of the few on the album that’s not about a boy-girl relationship, there is some kind of a “bigger message” in it. A very inspiring and true message...
Musically speaking, I will say it here and then I won’t repeat it with the other tracks, because I’d have to say it with every single one: the harmony and the backing vocals are totally utterly amazing!!! :D If you listen to it, it sounds so simple and easy, but it’s actually damn difficult to sing it for the harmonies to be so perfect! Other than that, the track has great energy and drive... I think it’s the perfect song to be the first track on the album. This is what you want to hear when you put a CD into your player and press the button :)
If our arms were reaching out
If our words could only bridge the doubt
Will we lose this chance again?
Strange roads with different signs
Don't even know where we divide
Are you my enemy or my friend?
'Cause I don't know you
And you don't know me
It's the same sun rising
We all just look to the sky
If we try
We can work it out somehow
If you don't know me
And I don't know you
How can we be fighting
We're all connected it's true
It's only love that pulls us through
We all grieve in different ways
If one tear could wash away the pain
We're all free to have the faith we believe, yeah
The world sleeps at different times
With one turn your day is now my night
We all live sharing the air that we breathe
Reaching out, reaching high
Touching you, touching me
2. Patience was the first single of the album and a true and very successful comeback! In its second week it flew to no.1 in the chart and stayed there for 4 weeks :) Apparently they even played it on our radio here in the Czech Republic, at least according to my nephew who once heard it when I was listening to it and said it sounded familiar :)
3. Beautiful World – I’ve already played that to you in one of the previous posts.
4. Hold On – one of the two songs on the album that I have personally labelled as “Mark ballads”, basically a slow song sung by Mark. It kind of continues in what he started with Babe back in the old days (I will get to the songs from the 90’s one day, when there’s nothing to do ;) Mark has this lovely specific colour of voice... :) It’s a song about problems in relationship and trying to overcome them... and it always seems to me that Mark sings it from the deepest corner of his heart. Which may not be that far from the truth. Somewhere around the time I discovered Take That, that is spring of this year, there were news and statements and what not in the media, revealing that he has had problems with alcohol for a few years and was also unfaithful to his then girlfriend, now wife. ... hm :( Well, it’s nothing to be happy about or proud of, is it. But I do admire him for having the courage to openly admit that he’s done something wrong, apologize and start again. He’s been to some kind of a clinic... and is working it out with his family... Looks like things are getting better, thank God! ... That was a bit off topic, but I hear a tiny echo of all this in the song...
5. Like I Never Loved You At All is a beautiful waltz....
6. Shine – To finish off the first half of the album, I am honoured to introduce to you: Shine!!! It was one of the very first Take That songs that I heard and... Well I was going through a difficult time those days, I was quite depressed and I had lost all the tiny remainders of confidence.... And this song has done a lot for me: slowly, gradually, it started to give me my confidence back. As if it was written especially for me :) So whenever I feel down again, and it seems like I can’t do anything, I listen to Shine and Mark will talk (or rather sing) me out of it! And not only Mark... I don’t know, it may seem crazy to you, but with songs like these, I often feel that it’s God talking to me through them, saying that I should not worry anymore about what went wrong, I should get up and start again, because I can do it! :) So here it is, just for you: the official music video, with stunning production and cute Take That :)
You, you're such a big star to me
You're everything I wanna be
But you're stuck in a hole and I want you to get out
I don't know what there is to see
But I know it's time for you to leave
We're all just pushing along
Trying to figure it out, out, out.
All your anticipation pulls you down
When you can have it all, you can have it all.
So come on, come on, get it on
Don't know what you're waiting for
Your time is coming don't be late, hey hey
So come on
See the light on your face
Let it shine
Just let it shine
Let it shine.
Stop being so hard on yourself
It's not good for your health
I know that you can change
So clear your head ang come round
You only have to open your eyes
You might just get a big surprise
And it may feel good and you might want to smile, smile, smile.
Don't you let your demons pull you down
'Cause you can have it all, you can have it all.
Hey let me know you
You're all that matters to me
Hey let me show you
You're all that matters to me.
Hey let me love you
You're all that matters to me
Hey so come on yeah
Shine all your light over me.
And that’s all for today, dear readers and listeners.
God Save the Queen, God save Take That and God save all of you!